Monday, May 10, 2010

Piece de Resistance

I wanted to push my own boundaries and think totally out of my own box with this last and rather scrumptious soup.

There is texture here, in the form of ground almonds. There is creaminess here, in the form of coconut cream. There is zing here, in the form of lemon juice.

This is my version of a quick fish soup. The final soup in this series needed to have some pizzazz and I think I have created it in this soup - I hope you enjoy!

Eclectic Fish Soup:

(Serves 2 - 3)

Ingredients:

4 Hake Fillets (I used frozen)
1 400g Tin Coconut Cream
800g Water (2 tins full)
3/4 Cup Ground Almonds (I bought unsalted almonds and ground my own)
1 Packet Broccoli Florets
1 Cup Chopped Chives
1 Cake Vermicelli Rice Noodles
Juice and Zest of 1 Lemon
1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
A Few Lime Leaves
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 Teaspoon Xylitol/ Sugar to Taste

Directions:

Place coconut cream, ground almonds and water in a large pot and bring to the boil
Add fish sauce, lime leaves, salt, pepper, hake fillets and rice noodles and simmer for about 10 - 15 minutes
Add juice and zest of lemon, chives, broccoli, xylitol and simmer until broccoli is just done ( 5 - 10 minutes)
Taste - you may need to add some more salt and pepper or xylitol (to make sure the balance between sweet, salty, sour and peppery is right)
Serve piping hot with a sprinkling of chives

No comments:

Post a Comment