Monday, November 15, 2010

Orange Blossom Cupcakes

Because I'm feeling full of sunshine, due to my weekend in Dullstroom, I have decided to share my little bursts of orange sunshine with you, which have been in development for quite a while. I am sure you can imagine how tricky it is to make a cupcake without the key ingredients - but I stumbled upon a beautiful website and recipe from Gluten-Free Goddess and her tips have helped me soooooo much!

The only problem I have with these is that if left out, they go stale quickly. But if you are baking to feed a crowd - this shouldn't be a problem at all, as they are extremely hard to resist. A good tip is to keep them in the fridge, this seems to keep the texture.

I have received such wonderful comments from friends and colleagues about them - most of them being absolute shock that they were gluten, dairy and egg free! And what an amazing, fresh flavour they have.

Orange Blossom Cupcakes:
(Makes 12)

Dry Ingredients:

3/4 Cup Pouyoukas Rice Flour (Throughout my research, I have found this to be the best rice flour)
3/4 Cup Health Connection Potato Flour
1/4 - 2/4 Cup Fructose (Depending on your sweet tooth)
1/4 Tsp Sea Salt
1 Tsp Nature's Choice Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Bicarb of Soda
1.5 Tsp Xanthan Gum
2 - 3 Tsp Fresh Orange Zest, Finely Chopped

Wet Ingredients:

2 Tbs Canola Oil
1 Tbs Light Agave Nectar or Honey
2 Tbs Baby Apple Puree
220mls Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
2 Tsp Orgran Egg Replacer whisked with 4 Tbs warm water
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Essence

Directions:

Heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius
Sift all the dry ingredients together
Add in the wet ingredients
Stir to combine - I just use a wooden spoon
Spoon batter into a cupcake tin (using cupcake casings finishes off the cupcake beautifully), about half way to the top of each cup
Bake for 25 minutes
Remove from oven and remove cupcakes from the tin and cool on a wire rack

Orange Icing:

Ingredients:

1/4 Cup Blossom Margarine (Remove from fridge when making cupcakes so that it is soft to work with)
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1/2 Tsp Orange Essence
3 - 6 Tbs Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice
2 Cups Icing Sugar (I am yet to find a sugar free icing sugar)

Directions:

Cream the Blossom and icing sugar together
Add the vanilla and orange essence and the orange juice
You may need to add more icing sugar at this point
Once the icing is combined well
Spread over the cupcakes
Or pipe using a piping bag
Decorate as you wish

No comments:

Post a Comment