Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Portugal and Me

The main reason for our trip to Durbs this weekend was to watch the Brazil/Portugal game...

I was a bit conflicted as to which team to support; the obvious choice would have been Brazil because the green and yellow matched my Bafana top perfectly - but no, I wasn't going to take the easy way out! I chose to support Portugal 1.) Half of Portugal is living in SA and most of them are in the South of Joburg :) 2.) I looooooooooooove Caparinhas and 3.) (Definitely not in this order) Ronaldo! Oh my word, I was dying for him to take his shirt off and I was certainly not disappointed - the game was complete when I saw his abs - hee hee :) I am so glad that this was my first game - the Moses Mabhida stadium is beautiful - what a work of art! And the atmosphere was indescribable - and it was amicable! I am actually so happy that the game ended in a draw because both teams were equally happy at the end of it and the celebrations were friendly.

South Africa has truly shown that we are capable of hosting a 1st class event. We decided to take the park and ride - it was so smooth and effortless that we actually thought we were missing something - but no - it was just that well organised! At the end of the game we didn't have to wait longer than about 10 minutes to get a bus as there were about 20 all lined up, ready and waiting... And the Gautrain - wow - I felt like I was back in London! Well done South Africa on hosting a world class event - we did it! Yippie!!! :)


Prawns in Lemon and Basil with Jasmine Rice:
This recipe was inspired by a recipe I found in the Taste Magazine
(Serves 3 - 4)

Ingredients:

300g Prawns Deveined and Deshelled (I used the cooked prawns from Woolies)
Bunch Fresh Basil, Torn
1 Lemon, Diced - Seeds Removed (I kept the rind on, which made it a bit bitter - I will remove it next time)
Good Glug Basil Infused Olive Oil
Good Glug Lemon Infused Olive Oil
Paprika
Herbal Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
Sheet of Tin Foil
Jasmine Rice for Serving

Directions:

Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
Make a marinade using the basil and lemon infused olive oil, torn basil leaves and diced lemon
Toss the prawns in the marinade
Place on a baking tray covered in tin foil
Sprinkle the paprika over the marinated prawns
Make a parcel so the heat does not directly affect the prawns
Bake in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes (not too long as they are already cooked and you don't want them to become tough)
Sprinkle some herbal salt and cracked black pepper over the baked prawns
Serve with jasmine rice, spooning over the sauce created in the tin foil

No comments:

Post a Comment