Monday, June 21, 2010

Stuffed and Roasted!

I am an experimental cook at best; some nights, if I haven't thought of what to make for dinner during the day, during my favourite foodie day dreams - I come home and play my very own, "Ready, Steady, Cook."

Last night was one of those nights - I looked at the contents of my fridge and cupboard and had the inspiration to make stuffed peppers with quinoa. Quinoa is a very new ingredient to me - it is one of those new super foods that was the buzz word a few months ago - I first used it to make porridge for breakfast - but have been using it more and more in savoury dishes and I have to say, it tasted fabulous in my stuffed peppers. It is also easy to obtain as most supermarkets seem to be stocking it these days.


Stuffed Peppers with Quinoa, Aubergine and Peas:
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:

2 Large Red Peppers, Whole and Deseeded
1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
1 Onion, Diced
1 Aubergine, Sliced
1 Cup Frozen Peas
Lemon Infused Olive Oil
Herbal Salt
Paprika
Cracked Black Pepper
Squeeze of Lemon Juice

Directions:

Heat oven to 200 Degrees Celsius
Slice aubergines and coat lightly with olive oil, paprika and herbal salt
Roast in oven until tender (about 10 minutes)
Cook quinoa as directed on the packet (1 cup to 2 cups salted water, until all the water has been absorbed)
Fry the diced onion in a drop of lemon infused olive oil, with a sprinkle of salt, until translucent
Add the cup of peas and cook for a few minutes until tender
Chop the charred aubergine slices and add to the onion and pea mix
Add the cooked quinoa to the mix and season with herbal salt, pepper, paprika (if desired) and a drop of lemon infused olive oil - to moisten
Stuff the hollowed out peppers with the mixture and roast in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes until the peppers are tender
Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice

No comments:

Post a Comment