Monday, September 13, 2010

NoMoo Zucchini and Quinoa Fritters

Don't you just love it when your eyes fall upon a recipe you just have to make - you go through the ingredients and you have all of them already! It's fate.

Last week I found a few minutes to read the Nomu Mailers that I hadn't had time to get to. One mailer in particular caught my eye - it was entitled "NoMOO" as in No Cow - which translates to no meat. For many years Tracy was actually a vegetarian and the name Nomu was loosely based on this. Therefore, I was extremely excited to see what she would come up with. Her Quinoa and Zucchini "Rosti" immediately caught my eye and I knew I had to try it.

This is my gluten free, dairy free and egg free version.

Zucchini and Quinoa Fritters:

Half an Onion, Finely Diced
1/2 Tsp Za'atar Spice
350g Zucchini (Baby Marrow), Grated
1.5 Cups Cooked Quinoa
1/4 Cup Potato Flour (Health Connection)
1 Tbs Rice Flour (Pouyoukas)
1 Tbs Buckwheat Flour (Health Connection)
1/4 Tsp Royal Bicarb of Soda
1/8 Tsp Xanthan Gum
2 Tsp Orgran Egg Replacement in 4 Tbs Warm Water
Herbal Salt and Pepper to Taste
Canola Oil for Frying

Directions:

Put the quinoa onto boil, following directions on the packet
Fry onions until translucent and then add the Za'atar spice and fry for a few more minutes
Place the grated marrows, the cooked quinoa, the flours, bicarb, Xanthan Gum and Egg Replacement in a large bowl and mix well
Add the cooked onions to the bowl and stir
Season with salt and pepper
In a large pan, heat enough canola oil to shallow fry
Make sure the oil is super hot before spooning a tablespoon of the mixture into it (it wasn't hot enough for me in the beginning and they stuck to the bottom of the pan)
Flatten fritter gently with the back of the spoon
Fry the fritters for about 30 seconds on each side until they have become crispy
Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper
Continue until all the batter has been used

Tracy suggests serving them with a Pistachio and Sumac Creme Fraiche Dip, but for a snack I would serve it with a simple avo dip:

Avo Dip:

1 Avo, Mashed
Squeeze Lemon Juice
Herbal Salt and Pepper to Taste
1/2 Tsp Za'atar Spice


I had these fritters for dinner with a simple piece of crumbled haddock, which I made by cooking in the oven for a few minutes in a piece of tin foil to keep it moist - it cooked in its own juices


My fritters came out a lot darker than Tracy's - I will make them again and report back with any troubleshooting tips

No comments:

Post a Comment