Friday, September 10, 2010

When the Craving Speaks - Eat Pasta!

All this talk of pasta over the last few days on Food24, really got me craving it!

I recently discovered the Orgran range of products and have been using their lasagne sheets for a while and this week I tried the rice and corn penne. The texture was brilliant - just the way I love my al dente pasta. It is the closest I have come to the real thing in a long time - I was overjoyed! Most of Orgran's products are also Gluten, Wheat, Egg, Dairy and Yeast Free! Orgran is approved by Allergen Free International, which means that all of their products are made in a totally gluten free facility - how refreshing! Total peace of mind! A lovely lady, Vivienne, also told me that Pick 'n Pay is now stocking maize pasta as part of the Puccini range - she says that it doesn't go all "gluey" like other makes tend to do. I haven't found it yet, but that's really good news! I have just been told by a really good source that the Pick 'n Pay Pasta says "may contain traces of gluten".  Orgran can be found at Dischem and most health shops.

Pumpkin and Roasted Baby Tomato Penne:
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:

Orgran Rice and Corn Penne, For Two
1 Onion, Finely Diced
1 Packet Diced Pumpkin
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Fructose
1/4 Teaspoon Chilli Flakes (Optional)
1 Cup Good Quality Vegetable Stock (I use Woolies Organic Vegetable Stock - Yeast, Gluten & Garlic Free)
1/3 Cup Rice, Soya or Coconut Milk (I used Rice Milk)
Olive Oil for Frying
Herbal Salt and Black Pepper to Taste

Half Punnet Baby Tomatoes, Halved
1/2 Teaspoon Fructose
Drizzle of Olive Oil
Herbal Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 150 degrees Celsius
Season tomatoes with salt, pepper and fructose and drizzle with olive oil
Roast in the oven while everything else is cooking
Put pasta onto boil, drain and set aside when al dente
Fry onion and add pumpkin when translucent
Add cinnamon, fructose and chilli and stir
Add vegetable stock and allow to simmer until stock has reduced
Add rice milk and salt and pepper to taste
When the pumpkin is tender, blend until smooth
Serve over the pasta, sprinkled with roasted baby tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment