Amaranth is a gluten free grain (or rather a seed), which I stumbled upon quite by accident. I found another health shop in Bryanston called Fruits and Roots - which is very similar to Fresh Earth.
I love these shops; I take ages perusing the shelves for something new and exciting to try and on this visit I found, yip - you guessed it, Amaranth!
- Half a Cup of Amaranth
- Red Onion
- Diced Pumpkin
- Baby Tomatoes
- Willow Creek Basil Infused Olive Oil
- Herbal Salt
- Cook the amaranth with about a cup of water until it reaches a sticky consistency
- Cut the onion roughly into chunks
- Add the onion and diced pumpkin to a tinfoil lined baking tray
- Drizzled over the olive oil and sprinkle with the herbal salt and pepper
- Put into a hot oven and roast until the edges of the pumpkin go crispy
- Just before the veggies are done, throw in the baby tomatoes
- Coat the veggies in the cooked amaranth
- Tear a few rocket leaves
- Toss together and there you have it, an unusual roast veggie salad!
- Serve warm