Friday, March 12, 2010

Hello Amaranth - where have you been?

Amaranth. Did you say Amaranth? What in the world is Amaranth?

Amaranth is a gluten free grain (or rather a seed), which I stumbled upon quite by accident. I found another health shop in Bryanston called Fruits and Roots - which is very similar to Fresh Earth.

I love these shops; I take ages perusing the shelves for something new and exciting to try and on this visit I found, yip - you guessed it, Amaranth!

I knew nothing about Amaranth - I had never even heard of it before. So, I did what any self respecting person would do and I googled it (after I bought it and took it home that is).

It is a tiny grain, which I assumed would fluff up like couscous, but it doesn't - in fact it goes sticky - so it would be perfect as a breakfast porridge. It can also be ground into flour, popped like popcorn, dry toasted, or used as a coating for fish, lamb, etc

But I decided to make an Amaranth and Roast Veggie Salad:

Ingredients:
    • Half a Cup of Amaranth
    • Red Onion
    • Diced Pumpkin
    • Baby Tomatoes
    • Rocket
    • Willow Creek Basil Infused Olive Oil
    • Herbal Salt
    • Pepper

Directions:
    • Cook the amaranth with about a cup of water until it reaches a sticky consistency
    • Cut the onion roughly into chunks
    • Add the onion and diced pumpkin to a tinfoil lined baking tray
    • Drizzled over the olive oil and sprinkle with the herbal salt and pepper
    • Put into a hot oven and roast until the edges of the pumpkin go crispy
    • Just before the veggies are done, throw in the baby tomatoes
    • Coat the veggies in the cooked amaranth
    • Tear a few rocket leaves
    • Toss together and there you have it, an unusual roast veggie salad!
    • Serve warm



 Have you used Amaranth before; if so, what is your favourite recipe?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I would love for you to update our members about Amaranth on Foodista- you have such great information here!

    ReplyDelete