Monday, March 8, 2010

Ladies Who Lunch

It's good to know that my entire self has not changed on this diet - my fears of not being able to entertain are unfounded.

In fact, I want to entertain more!

Because I am feeling so good and have discovered so many new and different ingredients, since the start of my journey, I want to share it all with my friends.

I invited my friend Tarrin over one Sunday afternoon for one of my healthy, yet tasty salads.

I must say I was a little nervous - here was me sharing a piece of my new self with someone other than my boyfriend, who has no choice but to eat everything I put in front of him :)

Here goes nothing...

On the menu:

Honey Glazed Chicken Breast Salad:


Glaze Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoons of honey
  • juice of 1 lime
  • juice of 1 orange
  • chilli flakes 
    • Mix all ingredients together and brush over the chicken breasts.
    • Grill in a preheated oven, I set mine to about 200 degrees celsius, until the chicken has gone golden brown from the glaze and is still moist - about 10 to 15 minutes (cut one breast open just to make sure it is translucent inside and is not still pink - if still pink cook for another few minutes, but take care not to burn the breasts)
Salad:
  • Rocket
  • Fresh coriander
  • Orange segments
  • Cucumber
  • Tomato
  • Avo
  • Dry toasted pine nuts
Dressing:
  • Make a dressing using a bit of olive oil, lime juice, orange juice, honey, chilli flakes and a dash of salt to counter balance the sweetness, and a grind of black pepper
  • Cut the chicken breast into pieces
  • Toss the salad together, arrange artfully on the plate, layer the chicken around and drizzle over the dressing
 For a little bit of naughtiness I made us a watermelon cocktail:


    •  o Vodka
    • o Fresh watermelon
    • o Lime cordial
    • o Ice
    • o Teaspoon of fructose
    • o Blend all ingredients in a blender, pour into martini glasses and add a few mint leaves or cucumber shavings for decoration
So Tarrin, what did you think of the salad? :-)

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved it :) it was so refreshing and tasted delicious, i loved that fact that you put orange segments into it, i would never have thought of doing that.
    And of course the cocktails were wonderful ;)
    Well done LeaB, no need to be scared to try new things with me, i like to try new things especially if its healthy!

    ReplyDelete