Sunday, April 11, 2010

Childhood Memories

The taste, smell and the act of making certain dishes brings memories flooding back to me - some sad, but the majority are happy. Food is amazing that way - just like listening to a song can evoke special memories.

This dish transports me back to my mom's kitchen - I can see her standing over the stove cooking one of her all-time favourites, which over the years has also become one of mine. I can't wait to cook it for my kids one day!

This dish is traditionally British and originated in World War II, when rationing affected most families, as it was the perfect way to use leftovers. If you have ever wondered what to do with your leftover mash and veggies, especially cabbage, brussel sprouts or peas - read on!

Bubble and Squeak:
(Makes 2 Cakes)

The name is said to come from the action and sound that is made when the mash-and-cabbage cake is frying. I'm sure it could also be due to the fact that cabbage squeaks when you eat it!

The smell of frying bubble and squeak is equally as evocative as the taste itself.

Ingredients:
    • 1 Large Potato, Peeled and Diced OR Leftover Mash
    • 1 Baby Cabbage, Shredded OR Leftover Cabbage/ Veggies of Your Choice
    • Olive Oil
    • Herbal Salt
    • Black Pepper
Directions:
    • I have found that it is actually better to use leftover mash as it has a harder texture and is easier to manage
    • But if you do not have leftover mash and want an easy snack, put the potato and cabbage on to boil, separately
    • When cooked, add a little olive oil and quite a generous amount of herbal salt and black pepper to the potatoes and mash
    • Fry the cooked cabbage a little and add to the mash, mix together and leave to cool for a bit
    • Make into cakes and fry in a drop of olive oil until golden brown (my mom used to fry it in butter, which tasted way better - but I can't eat dairy, so olive oil is the second best thing)
    • Bubble and Squeak was traditionally served with the leftover cold meat from Sunday lunch, but I love to eat it on its own
    • Squeeze over lemon juice if you wish 



No comments:

Post a Comment