Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"On Top Of Old Smokey..."

Meatballs to me are a curious invention. We didn't generally eat them when I was growing up and I don't think I have ever eaten them at a restaurant, therefore I was eager to find out how my own meatballs would turn out sans breadcrumbs and beaten egg.

Well, even if I do say so myself, I was very impressed with my meatballs (not that I have a frame of reference to compare them to, but I do know what I like and I liked these meatballs - a lot!) :)

Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with Basmati Rice:
(Serves 4)

Perfection is eating the unknown with massive enjoyment.

Ingredients:


For the Meatballs:

    • 500g Mince
    • Half a Large Onion, Finely Chopped
    • 2 Tablespoons of Egg Replacement for Binding or Corn Starch
    • 2 Tablespoons of Dried Mixed Herbs
    • 2 Tablespoons of Dried Mint
    • 2 Tablespoons of Paprika
    • A Good Squeeze of Vital Soya Sauce*
    • A Good Shake of Herbal Salt
    • A Teaspoon of Xylitol
 * May contain traces of gluten. Bragg Liquid Aminos is yeast and gluten free and can be bought at most health shops.


For the Sauce:

    • A Tin of Whole Tomatoes
    • The Other Half of a Large Onion, Finely Chopped
    • A Squeeze of Vital Soya Sauce
    • 2 Tablespoons of Dried Mixed Herbs
    • A Tablespoon of Dried Mint
    • A Tablespoon of Xylitol
    • A Shake of Herbal Salt
    • A Grind or 2 of Black Pepper
    • A Tablespoon of Avo Oil or Olive Oil


Directions:


    • Turn oven on to 200 degrees Celsius
    • Mix all meatball ingredients together
    • Roll mixture into balls
    • And place on baking tray covered in tin foil
    • This procedure should take about 20 minutes
    • Cook in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes until browned




      • Put the basmati rice onto boil, following the directions on the packet
      • Start the sauce by frying the onion in the oil with a sprinkle of salt, until translucent
      • Add the tomatoes to the onion along with the rest of the sauce ingredients
      • Simmer for about 15 minutes to allow the flavours to intensify
      • Add the meatballs to the sauce
      • Serve with the basmati rice




      No comments:

      Post a Comment