Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Jazzed Up

Ok, so I have a confession and here it is: I LOVE SOUP!! No, no - I mean I really love soup - I think it's bordering on obsession - I mean, I could eat soup every day - wouldn't you agree that that is a bit obsessive?

Anyway, I have found the perfect way to jazz up a soup that could otherwise be a little boring, well the colour anyway, definitely not the flavour! And this is my secret - Coriander!

To me coriander has such a fresh, almost citrus taste and this burst of flavour is exactly what is needed to finish off my beautiful soup of aubergine and sweet potato. Coriander is called Cilanto in America - I think that is such a lovely word; it just flows off the tongue!

Aubergine and Sweet Potato Soup with Coriander Pesto:
(Serves 4)

A poetic word deserves to have its poetic justice in the form of a soup-transforming pesto!

Ingredients:

1 Onion, Finely Diced
1 Large Aubergine
2 Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
A Drizzle of Avo Oil for Frying the Onion & Roasting the Aubergine
1 Marigold Yeast and Gluten-Free Stock Cube, Dissolved in 800mls Water
Paprika, for the Aubergine and the Soup
Herbal Salt for the Aubergine and the Soup
2 Teaspoons of Cinnamon

For the Coriander Pesto:
A Bunch of Coriander
A Squeeze of Lemon Juice
A Sprinkle of Herbal Salt
A Sprinkle of Paprika
A Drizzle of Avo Oil

Directions:
Cut aubergine length-ways, drizzle with avo oil and sprinkle with paprika and herbal salt
Roast in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes or until the flesh is soft, and it is taking on a slightly charred feel
Fry diced onion in a drizzle of avo oil with a sprinkle of salt
Add cinnamon and fry for a few minutes
Add the diced sweet potato and fry for a few minutes
Remove the aubergine flesh from the skins and add it to the pot, stir to combine
Add the stock, and simmer for about 20 minutes until the sweet potato is tender
Add paprika and herbal salt to taste
Blend soup until smooth
Make the coriander pesto by blending together the pesto ingredients
Serve the soup topped with the pesto
And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment