Sunday, July 11, 2010

Crunchie Munchies

On Friday night I got the crunchie munchies. My nose started to smell imaginary caramel sugary flavours and I could almost taste the crunchie oaty goodness, which was strange considering the fact that I had never made crunchies before, let alone wheat free ones!

It has recently been discovered that if you have a sensitivity to gluten you may not have a senstivity to oats, even though it is classified as a gluten grain - the reason for this is that the composition of oats is different to that of wheat and other gluten grains like rye and barley.

I am able to eat oats with no reaction. Coupled with this fact and the fact that my body was telling me that I absolutely had to make crunchies - I gave in and attempted my first batch of crunchies with surprisingly yummy results.

These crunchies are not for the feint hearted or for you, if you are shy of sugar!

Through my blogging adventures I have come to realise that I am a very impatient baker - I want it ready and I want it ready now! I need to start exercising some patience otherwise none of my baked goods are going to turn out correctly.

So here is my recipe for Patient Wheat Free Crunchies.


Ingredients:

1 Cup Oats
1 Cup Nature's Choice Gluten Free Cake Flour
1 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
1 Teaspoon Nature's Choice Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 Cup Oil (I used Sesame Oil from Dischem - it has a light sesame flavour, which complements the crunchies well)
1/2 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Fructose
1/2 Brown Sugar*
2 Tablespoons Golden Syrup
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

*Instead of the brown sugar you can use a full cup of fructose or replace the sugar with Xylitol

Directions:

Heat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius
Heat the sugar, golden syrup, water, sesame oil and vanilla extract in a pot on the stove - when the sugar has dissolved remove from the heat
Put the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix the wet ingredients slowly into them
Pour the mixture into an oven proof dish

Bake for about 40 - 50 minutes until it has cooked through (the deeper the dish, the longer the cooking time)
Turn off the oven
Cut into squares
Return the crunchies back to the oven for about 10 minutes so that they become crunchy

1 comment:

  1. Definitely going to try this one...someday! I hate oats pap!
    Ari (@RandomHoots)

    ReplyDelete