Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Gluten Free Gnocchi

Last week, Inspiration on Food24, challenged herself by making gnocchi for the first time. She had never eaten them before and therefore was unsure of how they should turn out, but none the less, from what I could see - she was successful :)

I have always wanted to try gnocchi myself, but because they contain gluten - I haven't tried them either! So when I attempted my own gluten free gnocchi I was very much in the dark - probably even more so than Inspiration.

I Googled a lot on what the end result should taste like and the consensus was light and fluffy.

So with much excitement and a little trepidation I set about making my gnocchi. This is quite a time consuming process so give yourself at least two hours or so if you are wanting to attempt this.

Gluten Free Potato Gnocchi:
(Serves 2)

Ingredients:

2 Large Potatoes, Peeled and Diced
1 Cup Maizena
1/2 Teaspoon Xanthan Gum
1.5 Tablespoons Olive Oil (I used Lemon Infused)
Salt and Pepper

Directions:

Boil potatoes - once cooked, drain the liquid and leave potato cubes to dry and cool
Finely mash cooled potatoes
Add the xanthan gum to the maizena
Slowly add the maizena to the mashed potatoes, kneading as you go
Add the olive oil a little at a time (you may not need the whole amount) and a good sprinkling of salt and pepper
You are looking for a dough like consistency - it mustn't be sticky
Once the correct consistency has been reached - roll the dough into thinnish sausages and briskly cut off about 1cm pieces with a fork
You can press the pieces with the fork for decoration
Boil the gnocchi in salted water
Remove from the water with a slotted spoon when they bob to the surface

I tried the gnocchi straight from the boiling water with a simple tomato sauce, but they still tasted raw to me (bearing in mind that I had no idea what the texture should be like - only what I had found on Google - that it should be light and fluffy)

I froze the rest of the gnocchi and on Saturday night was keen to try it again.

I made a lovely creamy pesto, which I baked the gnocchi in, after defrosting slightly. And oh my word I was in heaven when I tasted the gnocchi this time - yup, light and fluffy :)

Therefore, after boiling it is best to bake them with a sauce for about 15 minutes. (Add an extra 5 minutes if baking from frozen)

Simple Tomato Sauce:
(Serves 2)

3 Tomatoes, Cut in Half
A Few Sprigs Thyme
Paprika
Herbal Salt
Pepper
Xylitol

Directions:

Roast tomatoes with a sprinkle of paprika, herbal salt and xylitol
When cooked, remove skins and transfer to a pot on the stove
Add thyme and check seasoning
Allow sauce to reduce and for thyme to infuse - remove the thyme
Pour over gnocchi and bake in oven for about 15 - 20 minutes


Creamy Pesto:

Ingredients:

Bunch Rocket*
Bunch Flat Leaf Parsley*
1 Salad Onions, Chopped
Squeeze of Lemon Juice (Optional)
Handful of Pine Nuts
Herbal Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
Basil Infused Olive Oil (Or plain Olive Oil)
Cinnamon (Optional)
Paprika
1 - 1.5 Cups Soya/ Rice Milk
1/2 - 1 Cup Maizena/ Gluten Free Cake Flour

*You can make a simple basil pesto by replacing the rocket and parsley with basil

Directions:

Blend the rocket, parsley, salad onions, lemon juice, pine nuts, olive oil, herbal salt and pepper until you have reached a pesto consistency. Taste and add extra seasoning if needed
Place the flour or maizena in a pot on the stove and slowly add the milk, stirring continuously
The sauce will thicken when the flour cooks in the milk - it should take about 10 - 15 minutes
Add the pesto to the white sauce and stir through
I added about a teaspoon of cinnamon and some paprika for extra flavour

Pour over the gnocchi and bake in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment