Thursday, November 18, 2010

Product Review: Alpo Soya Dairy Free Custard - Vanilla Flavour

I recently discovered Alpo Soya Dairy Free Custard at Pick n Pay on Nicol.


Being a serial trier and buyer of all things allergy free, I simply had no choice - my will power was not that strong - I had to buy it!

I was really glad I did because it inspired me to create the recipe in my previous post - it just would not have been the same without it; it provided extra body and texture and flavour to the dessert.

Website Description:

A tasty vanilla flavour custard made with blend of water and soya beans, with calcium and vitamins. Delicious served hot or cold.

Ingredients:

Water, Sugar, Hulled soya beans (6%), Modified tapioca starch, Tri-calcium phosphate, Vanilla flavouring, Thickener: Carrageenan, Sea salt, Curcuma extract, Vitamins: Riboflavin and B12.
 
Soya has been getting a bad rap recently, but I think as long as you eat it in moderation, it should have no ill effects on your body (this is only my opinion though).
 
Compared to UltraMel custard is has a very similar texture and the vanilla flavour has that familiar vanilla taste, although with a slight after taste of soya, quite like soya cream, but it's not unpleasant.
 
I think it would be best served cold.
 
All in all, I am over-joyed to have a dairy-free alternative to UltraMel and look forward to creating many new and exciting desserts - do try the one in my previous post to get you started - or simply eat it with fruit and jelly. Deeeelish! 
 
Look out for their other products too.

No comments:

Post a Comment