Thursday, November 11, 2010

Salmon for the Senses

This week I've been having some rather strange sensual experiences and I wondered if any of you had ever experienced the same...

My sister sent me a link to a music video we used to watch quite often when we were younger - she is coming to visit from the UK soon - for a month - I am soooooooooooooo excited! Anyway, I watched the music video and I was instantly reminded of eating Sweet and Sour Chicken from Woolies, while watching the video - in my mind the video tasted like sweet and sour chicken.

And today in a waiting room someone mentioned the words Alliance Francaise and I got the taste of chocolate covered waffles, which took me completely by surprise. While in Matric, we used to go here once a week to brush up on our French language - I hated it because the class was only in French and you had to respond in French too, which simply freaked me out. But, I remember looking forward to the yummy chocolate covered waffles, which they sold here - my reward :)

Has a word or photo or video triggered off taste explosions in your mouth? If so, I'd love to hear about them - hopefully I'm not the only one :)

We leave for Dullstroom tomorrow - yippie - I can't wait!

But before I go - I wanted to leave you with another fishy recipe (just so you won't feel too left out)... A lovely, luscious, creamy salmon and asparagus pasta - with no cream! Of course, you can use cream if you're "allowed". I have to tell you that I am really enjoying soya cream at the moment... It finishes off a dish so nicely, just like real cream :)

"Creamy" Salmon and Asparagus Pasta:
(Serves 2 - 3)

Ingredients:

1 Leek, Finely Sliced
2 Salmon Pieces (Fresh or Frozen)
1 Punnet Baby Asparagus, Washed Well to Remove the Grit
Juice of Half a Lemon
1 Tbs Lemon Zest
1/2 Cup Soya Milk
1 tsp Corn Starch, Dissolved in About 1/4 Cup Water
Handful Mustard Microherbs
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Chilli Flakes
Drizzle Lemon Infused Olive Oil
Drizzle Parmesan Infused Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1/2 - 1 tsp Fructose
1 - 2 tsp Good Quality Whiskey
Soya Cream to Finish Off the Dish

Serve with Soba Rice Noodles

Directions:

Fry leek until tender on a high heat
Add whiskey and cook off the alcohol for a few minutes, so you are just left with the taste
Turn down the heat and add soya milk and a little of the corn starch mixture to thicken the sauce
Add the lemon juice and zest, salt, pepper, fructose, paprika and chilli flakes and stir
Add the salmon, asparagus and microherbs (reserving some for garnish - these little herbs are amazing - having a yeast allergy mustard is out, but these mustard herbs impart the same flavour - brilliant!)
Flavour with the oil and allow to simmer for about 5 - 10 minutes until the salmon and asparagus are just cooked
Taste the sauce and adjust flavourings if necessary
Finish off with the soya cream
Serve on soba rice noodles. I have also had this sauce on baby boiled potatoes - delicious!

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend! xx


No comments:

Post a Comment