Thursday, October 21, 2010

As Sweet As... Strawberry Jam!

Yay, another victory for me - strawberry jam! I actually made the jam before I made the ketchup - that's how my ketchup epiphany occurred as I used exactly the same principles. Life is awesome sometimes :)

Last week, I walked into Woolies and there in front of me, glowing like glorious beacons of fantasticness were punnets and punnets of the most gorgeously plump and juicy strawberries. I was in business!
 Snatching up a bulk punnet, and cradling it protectively towards me, I hurried over to the cashier. "Quickly, quickly", I thought, "I wanna make me some jam!"

At home I googled Jamie Oliver's recipe for strawberry jam and set to work, staring at the red beauties in awe as I went.

Strawberries have many benefits for the body - they are high in vitamin C and K, manganese, folic acid, potassium, riboflavin, vitamin B5 and B6, copper, magnesium and omega 3 fatty acids.

They are also the only berry to have seeds on the outside and one strawberry has as many as 200 seeds! WOW!

Strawberries even have love connotations as some stories suggest that sharing a strawberry with someone may cause you to fall in love with him or her. Now that's what I call an easy love potion. :)

The strawberry plant belongs to the same family of roses, Fragraria, along with apples and plums. Fragraria comes from the Latin word for fragrant. Strawberries can be quite a common allergen and therefore allergies to apples and plums may occur too.

Strawberry Jam:

Ingredients:

400g Strawberries
120mls Fructose
1 Vanilla Pod, Slit in Half

Directions:

Mush up strawberries, keeping a few largish pieces
Combine with the fructose and vanilla pod in a pot on the stove
Boil on a medium heat for 5 minutes
Remove any scum from the surface
Allow to cool for about half an hour
The jam will thicken on standing

Our dinner on this night consisted of scone biscuits with strawberry jam and soya cream. Naughty but ooohhhh sooooo nice :) Scone biscuit recipe to follow in the next post.


There are 10 days left to enter the Cinnamon Sue Competition. Why not do it today?

No comments:

Post a Comment